As information becomes available, external VET opportunities will be posted on Connect. Students will then be able to apply for courses delivered at an RTO for 1-2 days each week. It is important that students and parents understand that if a student chooses to participate in an external VET program, the student may miss classes at Ashdale Secondary College. It is a condition of participation that the student keeps up with all aspects of his/her program of study.
Vocational Education and Training encompasses the delivery of national qualifications (Certificates) in specific industry areas. Ashdale SC VET courses are growing in reputation and the number of enrolments. Students are realising the importance of working towards a vocational qualification whilst at school. This gives them a head start over students without certificate qualifications when they graduate by enabling them to attend full-time TAFE or other further education or transition directly into employment.
By offering VET courses for students throughout Years 10, 11 and 12, Ashdale Secondary College helps students meet the requirements of the WACE and gain valuable workplace skills and experience.
Vocational courses continue to expand with more and more teachers identifying that these courses may provide more relevance to students and provide better outcomes. The certificate courses change depending on demand, however, in 2017, around 440 students are undertaking one or more certificates. These courses are either delivered as part of the timetable (“internal”) OR at an “external” RTO provider.
The cost of VET programs varies. Internal VET courses attract charges for learning resources and RTO certification. External VET courses may be supported by government funding (under profile hours), some have a cost for resources and a few charge tuition fees.
Internal VET Courses
Through third-party agreements with Registered Training Organisations (RTOs), Ashdale Secondary College teachers, who are qualified trainers and assessors, deliver a comprehensive range of VET courses:
- BSB10115 | Certificate I in Business
- BSB20115 | Certificate II in Business
- BSB30115 | Certificate III in Business
- CUA20215 | Certificate II in Creative Industries (Live Production)
- CHC22015 | Certificate II in Community Services
- SIS10115 | Certificate I in Sport and Recreation
- SIS20115 | Certificate II in Sport and Recreation
- SIS20213 | Certificate II in Outdoor Recreation
- CUA20113 | Certificate II in Dance
- SIT20316 | Certificate II in Hospitality
- CUA20715 | Certificate II in Visual Arts
- ICT20115 | Certificate II in Information, Digital Media and Technology
- MEM20413 | Certificate II in Engineering Pathways
- CUA30915 | Certificate III in Music Industry
- CUA31015 | Certificate III in Screen and Media
External Training Opportunities
Information about external VET training opportunities usually becomes available from mid-July. Students can access a range of courses and qualifications in industries where skill shortages have been identified. This includes opportunities to complete school-based traineeships or pre-apprenticeship qualifications, introducing students to a range of trade pathways. Some training organisations also offer fee-paying places to school students. These costs will be the responsibility of parents.
As a guide, the following VET opportunities were accessed by Ashdale Secondary College students in 2019. We anticipate these will be similar in 2020.
- 52443WA | Certificate II in Building and Construction (Pathway-Trades)
- 52636WA | Certificate IV in Aeronautics (Commercial Pilot Theory-Single Engine)
- AUR20516 | Certificate II in Automotive Servicing Technology
- AUR20716 | Certificate II in Automotive Vocational Preparation
- CHC30113 | Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care
- CHC30213 | Certificate III in Education Support
- HLT26015 | Certificate II in Population Health
- HLT33115 | Certificate III in Health Services Assistance
- SIT30116 | Certificate III in Tourism
- TLI21616 | Certificate II in Warehousing Operations
- UEE20711 | Certificate II in Data and Voice Communications
- UEE22011 | Certificate II in Electrotechnology (Career Start)
- SIS30115 | Certificate III in Sport and Recreation
- RII20713 | Certificate II in Civil Construction
- SHB20116 | Certificate II in Retail Cosmetics
- SHB30115 | Certificate III in Beauty Services
Please click on the video link to learn more about VET from our VET Coordinator:
Career Website Links
These website links will assist you in exploring the further education opportunities and career pathways available to you beyond graduation.
For further information, please contact our Workplace Learning Coordinators on email@example.com.
Please click on the links below to view the websites:
The Job Guide provides an in-depth look at a range of occupations, and their education and training pathways. It also gives useful information about how to work out what occupations suit you best, based on your interests and abilities.
My Future website provides information on occupations, weekly earnings, training, funding and employment demand.
Australian JobSearch website provides information on government jobs, wages, employment demand and training.
The Australian Government website provides information about services provided by the Government.
Department of Training & Workforce Development WA website provides information about WA online career planning and course information.
This study guide is provided by the Australian Government and includes valuable information and links to understand what type of study you will need, to get the career you want. By understanding your study path you can work towards your career. Choose your own higher education adventure.